Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Impressions...

After a 10 hour flight, an hour wait for our train ride and the actual 1.5-hour train ride itself into the city (and not to mention a 17-hour time difference), we finally made it to Tokyo last Sunday! Hank's been to Japan before so he's not as mesmerized by the number of people who saturate this crazy city...but for me on the other hand - I'm completely floored!

We're staying at this beautiful hotel right beside Shinjuku station which is one of the busiest stations ever known to man-kind. Like literally, it seems like every transit line that could pass thru this part of the city does and somehow makes it's way to do so.

The number of people passing through here is astounding. Imagine playing a live game of Frogger from Atari and instead of dodging cars and rivers, you are trying your best to not get run over by people walking at ridiculous speeds of what I think is at least 20km/hour. Ha! I swear I will never complain about the Canada Line EVER again!

So speaking of our hotel, when we arrived, we were greeted by the first available bell boy. He took our luggage while we were checking in and was going to help us bring our 26" suitcase and a carry-on to our room. One of the bestest parts about traveling on our honeymoon is to mention that we are actually on it! The kind front-desk dude was like, "oh you're on your honeymoon? I'll upgrade your room!" We're all..."Ok, that's awesome! Thank you!!"

And so, the following events just happened oh so quickly:
  • We crossed paths with our bell boy as we were approaching our room while he was leaving. Of course, out of common courtesy I reached into my pocket and gave him a few bucks and wished him a good night....or so I thought. As we were entering our room, Hank & I were discussing the Japanese yen and coins that we had in our possession. I was so mortified to learn that I didn't give the poor guy a few bucks...I gave him a few cents! 20 to be exact. I really wished at that moment that I didn't give him anything at all! SO embarassing!! As we were digesting all of this and while Hank was laughing his *** off...
  • We turned on our room light and was impressed by the size of our room...until we turned the corner and saw the beds! Yes, that's right...plural. 2 twins. I guess honeymoon in Japan means we want to sleep separately...

I was so embarrassed from the tipping incident, that I didn't even want to go back to the front desk to switch rooms from an already "upgraded" one!That's ok... It was still a nice room, and way cozier too :)


So talk about 1st impressions eh?



2 comments:

  1. that's too funny.. i think i woulda switched rooms still.. then you woulda had the opportunity to re-tip the bellboy properly.. oh wellz........... sux to be him..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaa... 20cents, the story he has to tell is worth more so don't worry :p

    ReplyDelete